Wednesday, February 8, 2017

Post surgery update

Surgery today went well! The actual procedure actually only took 30 mins. But with prep and all, she was in the OR for about an hour. It was a really weird feeling walking through the same hallway 2 years ago when we were too overwhelmed to process everything but still had to go through it and we just did things as we were told. This time, 2 years older, wiser and more prepared, things went smoother than I originally expected. I laid Olivia down the operating table and I'm just so proud of how brave she was. She handled it like a champ! She looked nervous for sure, but no crying. She held on to my hand really tight and force-shut her eyes while we wait for the general anesthesia (through a mask) to kick in.

Recovery took about a couple hours. Everyone was congratulating us as it was basically like a graduation from all that Olivia has been through, as well as our family. This was the final step and we can finally say WE DID IT!!!

We went straight to her regular check up with her oncologist and everything is looking good. We won't find out her blood work results until tomorrow or Friday though. I had a long conversation with her doctor and I asked all the questions that most families probably ask post treatment, mainly about the possibility of relapse and how to treat fevers from now on. The chances of relapse for her type of leukemia is very rare (less than 5%). The doctor was pretty straightforward though explaining that it is still possible and that is why they still have to monitor her blood counts regularly, more frequently during the first few years post treatment. Now that the port is out, if she gets a fever now, we probably wouldn't need to rush her to the hospital like we used to. It's good to know though that even though we are done with treatment, we know that our oncologist will always be there to answer any questions or concerns that we may have.

Olivia's stitches should heal within a week. We just have to monitor it to make sure it doesn't get infected. Since she's still immuno-compromised, she still can get infections easily.


10 comments:

  1. So glad to hear all went well!! Thank God for her fighter soul!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much!!! She is truly a fighter!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awwww!!! God is Great!!!! Hugs ET!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kristina, Thank you for sharing this blog. I'm really happy that Olivia is done with her treatment. She has gome through a lot, she is indeed a fighter. Praise God for all the answered prayers. I have been following this blog since January as a friend of us shared this to us. I didn't get a chance to leave a message until now. Our son at 3yo was diagnosed with ALL standard risk, he is currently treated in Seattle Children's hospital. Your blog gives me hope on the future of my son's healing. He was already in remission since Feb but still going through the standard treatment. He is doing well on IM-1. Next month would be his Delayed Intensification phase so I'm really nervous about it as well. But your blog gives me hope that everything will be okay. The past 3 months was a mess and I just kept crying while I read your blog. Again, thank you for sharing your experience, this has really been helpful and informative to our family. Praying for Olivia and your family. God bless.

    Iyah C.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Iyah, I'm so sorry to hear about your son's diagnosis. It breaks my heart everytime I hear about a new kid being diagnosed with this disease. I am glad that in some way I could help you. I found it therapeutic as well to learn about other families' experiences because exactly your point, it gave me hope. And it gave me an idea of what to expect.I wish you all the best and I hope delayed intensification will go smoothly for you. I know it can get hard. For now, just love him. It's the best thing we can give them.

      Kristna

      Delete
    2. Thank you. I appreciate the well wishes and advise.

      Oh by the way my son also loves sinigang when he was in steroids. I laughed when i read about olivia craving for it. That was a crazy phase and he will take the meds again.

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Kristina,

    i fell upon your blog when i was searching for answers in the beginning of my sons diagnosis (may 2016).. i couldnt wait to read more of your blog as it gave us hope and what to expect for the upcoming phases.

    my son was also diagnosed with ALL a couple of years ago. we are nearing the end, and i still have many questions in my mind. Getting answers from a doctor sounds "standard", however i find getting answers from other families going through it much more satisfying. would you mind filling us in on the last year since the surgery? i am curious the steps and how olivia is doing one year after.

    things like what are you doing for fevers now? etc etc.

    thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jonathon, I am glad to hear our blog is helpful to other families in the same situation. I hope your son is doing well today. We know how each day is different. I will gladly post an update within the next few days. What happens after surgery was one of our biggest fears as well but it's all about knowing what to expect which helps a lot and I would be happy to share our experience.

      Delete
    2. Awesome! i am looking forward to reading it. Thank you for keeping up with this blog, im sure it doesnt only mean a lot to us, but everyone else following. Just like you said, everyday is different and its comforting to hear all the situations and the outcome.

      Thanks again! i hope your family and olivia are doing great! it sounds like it.

      Delete