Friday, January 27, 2017

First bloodwork post treatment

Olivia went for her first check up post treatment on Jan 20. This was 2 weeks after her last hospitalization. Her blood counts were just ok, with ANC at 700. Her doctor expects this to go up though. I think it's just like before, it took her a while to recover from her fever/neutropenia episode. She is doing well otherwise except for a fever the other day that only lasted overnight. I got worried that we had to take her to the hospital again knowing that her ANC is on the low side. We monitored her at home and the fever went away. Olivia was already getting anxious when we kept on taking her temperature. The thought of going back to the hospital makes her cry. 

Olivia's hair was thinning out again during her last hospitalization. She's looking forward to growing her hair long. She always talks about how she wants to have a long hair! It will be one day! 

Olivia is scheduled to come back to the hospital in 2 weeks for a surgery to remove the port from her chest. I've been slowly explaining to her what to expect which I think she appreciates. I can't believe how brave she is at her age!

Even though she is done with treatment, she is still immuno-compromised until 3-6 months post treatment. And that is why she still has to continue her Bactrim medicine, which protects her from pneumonia. We still want to be cautious that's why we are still holding off on sending her back to school. After 6 months post treatment, she will get tested to see what vaccines she needs to retake. 

For the first year post treatment, she will be going back to the hospital for blood counts once a month. The second year will be every 2 months. The third year will be every 6 months and from then on it will be a once a year visit to her oncologist for life. I still have a clear memory of a mother and daughter who went to the hospital one day for the daughter's check up. She looked like a teenager. She and her mom looked happy to see the doctors and nurses. It seemed they are there for their yearly visit. The mom saw me with my then bald daughter, smiled at me and said everything will be ok. I can never forget that day as it gave me hope in my lowest moments. It made me realize that one day, we'll get through this trial and will be smiling again just like them. And here we are =) What a blessing it is indeed!

1 comment:

  1. olivia, i do not know you, you do not know me, but i keep you in my heart as if you are my granddaughter. i've seen some pictures of you, i see and hear courage in them, and i think you are brave because you sense you parents' courage...because your parents' love scaffold you...but most of all, i think that in every step that you've made in conquering leukemia, you and your parents are not alone, "for God is with you, His rod and His staff, they comfort you." i love you olivia. one day, we may meet, either here in new york or in london and i will hold your hand and look into your eyes with wonder seeing courage reflected there.

    ReplyDelete